Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lightened up Ranch Dressing

If you've been on Pinterest lately, you've probably seen the picture of ranch dressing in a mason jar floating around that's pinned on everyone's healthy boards. Being a ranch lover and in constant need of being on a diet I was eager to try this recipe out.
My first attempt at this was a failure. I used way too much Greek yogurt (a 12oz container) which made it a nasty, bitter mess and I used no milk. I figured it was because I don't like Greek yogurt, so I gave up with my quest on finding a healthy ranch dressing.
Recently, I have started following Megan from Miss Madison's Charmed Life and from a instagram picture I saw her give this recipe again to a fan, but this time I read it. She said she used 1 single serve cup of plain Greek yogurt, a ranch dressing seasoning packet, and skim milk. Weary, I tried this recipe out once again, but following Megan's instructions.
I mixed my ranch dressing seasoning packet into my plain Greek yogurt then dumped it into a one of my plastic rubbermaids and added milk. I started slowly, adding about 3 tbsps of skim milk. It was still kind of thick, but it was lunch time and I was running out of time so I ate it as is.
Let me tell you! It was delicious! It gave me that ranch flavor (a bit tangier I might add) that I want without the guilt. Later, we had salad again at dinner and when I opened my dressing container it was as thick as dip (which was really good on a potato chip), so I just added more milk until it was the consistancy I wanted. To keep from using so much dressing, I put my salad in a plastic rubbermaid, added a lid, and shook it until every leaf was covered. This probably makes enough dressing for 5-7 salads. I'm so glad I have found a ranch dressing that doesn't taste healthy!

Here's the recipe:

  • 1 single serve cup of plain Greek yogurt (I used Oikos)
  • 1 packet of Ranch Dressing Seasoning (NOT THE DIPS)
  • approx. 1/2 cup of skim milk
Combine all of the ingredients and whisk with a fork until combined. Eat immediately or chill and use later. If it thickens too much, add more skim milk.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment